22.5.10
Bakit Speech Pathology?
You should take engineering. You should take pre-law courses. You should take DENTISTRY. That's what they say. I don't want any of those. I don't want to take a course in order to satisfy the wants of other people or should I say their dreamy perceptions. I don't want to take a course to be rich or just so I could travel around the world. I need a course that help people's lives to be better. Simple as that. Sure, engineers build infrastructures and lawyers give justice and dentists fix your oral health problems .but i want something more, something new and something that needs more people. Something like Speech Pathology (yes,so cheesy) .
People may ask, who needs speech therapists? it is uncommon and not in "demand". The fact is it's rarity gives it the "demand". Many people need speech therapists. Many kids who can't speak clearly , stutter and have other speech defects need it. They are teased and bullied because of this or rather, it is ignored. Ignorance only carries the defect to adulthood, naysayers would say it would worn out by the years but the truth is it would not. Communication is essential and if that simple defect will be carried later in life then it would be a burden too late to throw away. It's a sad fact that few people are able to get treatment for their speech defect and fewer people are aware that such defects or even treatments exist.
It wasn't the course I wanted when I used to think of college when I was a kid. I wanted to be in professions that is only of my knowledge. Recently (senior yr), I have wondered what difference would I make if I would be just one of the doctors, lawyers or engineers? One of those who services the common needs of people...BORING. This realization came into mind when I was signing the application form. I did research and asked a friend doctor what it really means. It's like the Archamaedean moment relived. It's perfectly what i wanted. I want to change the world, or maybe at least some persons'.:)
P.S. My mind has decided already on one course and one course only. I am very persistent (see?) and even if I would end up taking another pre-med course I would still pursue my goal to be a certified Speech Therapist and not just a TEACHER OF SPEECH.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment