so..i was bored and wide awake without caffeine as usual
so i googled my name.hah.X)
and SURPRISE!
Here's what i got:
An article from the Manila Bulletin.
Of courses and choices
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/261381/of-courses-and-choices
PERFECT FOR SPEECH PATHOLOGY
Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) is another new course available in the Philippines.
While still in its developing stage, SLP has attracted the interest of many students already.
Incoming freshman Jyrenne Guerrero, for instance, had other plans before she discovered SLP among the programs being offered at the University of Santo Tomas. She knew right then that SLP is the perfect course for her.
“I wanted to try something new and different; a field that needs more workforce and research,” says Jyrenne, who finished high school at St. Paul University.
SLP primarily deals with the diagnosis and rehabilitation of communication disorders.
The five-year course is currently offered in only two universities, the other being the University of the Philippines in Manila, the first to introduce SLP in the country.
In UST, SLP was pioneered through the College of Rehabilitation Sciences last school year with just a single section. For the coming school year, SLP has one block for the freshmen enrollees with only 50 students. Career opportunities include becoming a speech pathologist, researcher, and educator.
Many parents are still hesitant in allowing their children to pursue this degree. Jyrenne’s parents were among the skeptics, who preferred a much mainstreamed medical course such as dentistry. But after weeks of cajoling, Jyrenne finally convinced her parents to allow her to pursue SLP.
“My parents asked a friend doctor about SLP and I also talked to them about the lack of supply of speech pathologists all over the world. Since my parents wanted me to pursue my dream, they finally agreed to it,” Jyrenne says.
Her dream is to become a speech pathologist for those with speech disabilities. She believes that only a few people are able to get treatment for their speech defects and even fewer people are aware that such defects or even treatments exist.
“I want to spread the word and help people who have difficulties in speaking be able to communicate normally in their day-to-day lives” shares Jyrenne who is looking forward to an adventure in learning."
===========================================================
The story behind this long lost only-now-found article:
It was the summer before the start of my freshman year in college and I was searching for people I'm about to be with in the course SLP. I advertised my name in the forums i usually visit in hopes of finding the people (see how much I'm passionate in searching for people). And during that week I received a message on facebook from Alona Mandigma stating she found my name on a Pex thread and that she wanted to ask me a few questions regarding my decision to take up the course SLP. My mom even thought that the person was scamming me for personal info and I had to show her proof of a published article of Alona. After answering a few questions through messages in a gawky and honest way, I've thought that my answers would only be for a trial article only to learn now that it was published. That's it.
This truly feels surreal. It's like a time machine. What I had planned before didn't happen (and it's even written on my journals and this article)...and I'm wondering what else could change on my circumstances.
..I can't wait.
P.S. I wanted to monolog:
aytako: Look at that.. "Perfect for Speech Pathology"?
sci: alright....i've got that part unexpectedly cut. God has other plans for me. Whatever is written shouldn't be the basis of what will happen to my life but should be treated as a settled piece of the puzzle. Like a bland unleavened bread I've stepped upon for the sun engraved on it grew strange..this life is ever changing and shifting as it is (a constant step & go on a sidewalk into the road).
To life! To the Creator of this universe!:-)
[I can't wait]
Call unto me, and I will answer thee,
and show thee great and mighty things,
which thou knowest not.-jer 33---
No comments:
Post a Comment